History of the
Antica Dimora alla Rocca in Trevi
1650 the apostolic pronotario Giovanni
Battista di Filiberto, who also was internunzio
of the Regno di Napoli, erected the building
for his second-born son.It was in the habit to
confer the aristocratic title and all inheritance
to the eldest son, and to have the second-born
trained as a clergyman.
The building was later donated to Filiberto' s
grand-children, and among them to Anton Francesco
VALENTI, Bishop of Teodosia in 1727. It was he
himself to found the prepositura VALENTI.
Palazzo Valenti was also known as the Palazzino
, and it was very important as a seat of a protonotoriato
and a prepositura.
In the Curia it is the title of the members of
the seven dignitaries college, assigned to the
The whole goods (lands and buildings estate) given
to the second-born assigned to the ecclesiastical
appointments.The returns of the goods had to provide
for the church and the Rector.
The volume of the building
is of a great importance in the fabric of the
city. It is set like a trapezoid as to the mountain
and to Piazza della Rocca , of which
it itself is the foundation.
It has three floors, included the noble floor
and the mezzanine floor. Vault rooms are in
the basement. The face is a plain and simple
architecture of elements, symmetrically placed
around the lintelled door. All the windows are
lintelled and vaulted, and have the superior
frames engraved with witty remarks such as Vince
in bono malu(m), Virt(us) unita forti(tudine);
P(er) cruce ad sydera; on the main lintel
it is engraved the motto FIDES, VIRTVS, INGENIVM,
FORTVNA ad syde(r)a tollu(n)t (you could
win evil with good - courage and valour - trough
the cross to the stars - faith, courage, intelligence
and luck lead to the stars).
interior too has the typical architecture of
the XVII century, sober and classical. In the
ground floor there is a vaulted corridor leading
to the stairs that reach the superior floors.
Plain pilasters, frames and vault ribs mark
the internal space.Elliptical caps cover the
landings. The noble floor is divided in simple
rooms with plain ceilings adorned with painted
beams. Some of the rooms keep sober paintings
of the late XVIII century, similar to those
kept in some ancient buildings in Foligno. An
ashlar runs down the corners of the building.
Some other rooms ceilings are adorned with XIX
century paintings, representing images of mythology
and vegetal patterns, typical of the period.
The so called Palazzino is a precious
element of the local history, and an evidence
of such an important noble family of Trevi,
as the Valenti family was.
In the D.L. 09/10/1995 the Department of Beni
Culturali e Ambientali declared that this
building is of great importance, according to
Art. 1-3 of the 16 1939 n° 1089 law and must
therefore be protected.
Click here to see
the Hotel Virtual Tour